What’s a sandwich without a spread? Dips and spreads are an outstanding way to spice up a party, dinner table or coffee table. The bold flavors, creamy textures, and endless choices draw family and friends together for fun and conversation. At the same time, they are typically loaded with hidden calories, abundant sodium and saturated fat that are too difficult to resist and track. And why not try a healthy alternative for a healthier you? To start, presented here are some of healthy and flavorful sandwich spreads simple enough to make every day:
- Hummus with chile – just mix together 2tbsp of hummus with 1tsp of olive oil. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- To make a delightful spread for smoked turkey sandwiches try this: White beans pureed with a little cumin or chili powder and lemon juice. Then add just enough olive oil to make a smooth spread.
- Goat cheese may be creamed and flavored with chopped fresh herbs. This spread will give both color and make a flavorful sandwich. Pesto can be stirred into both softened cream cheese and goat cheese for roasted chicken breast or left over rotisserie chicken used for sandwiches.
- For a veggie type sandwich try using soften cream cheese stirred with chopped roasted peppers inside or even diced celery and green peppers.
- Would you believe that even a mixture of roasted vegetables together and mashed can also be used for sandwich spreads? Recommended are onions, peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes. Toss chopped vegetables that have been cut up for evenness in cooking with a little oil, and place on a baking sheet. Bake until they are browned then cool. You can puree or mash the vegetables all together while adding salt and pepper and a little olive oil for a smooth paste and flavor.
- Eggplant that has been roasted and mashed after cooling can be made into an easy sandwich spread. Since the flavor of eggplant is strong enough, just by adding a little salt and pepper to the mash is sufficient. Although other vegetables can be added, such as green or red onions, and diced peppers.
- Homemade tapenade can be made with a great number of variants. A basic recipe uses different pitted olives, such as kalamata, black and green olives with other ingredients such as capers, garlic and fresh herbs. Process olives, you may choose a single variety or a mixture that is added with desired ingredients and drizzle in a little olive oil to make a spreadable paste.
- Garlic Herb Sandwich Spread – to make just mix 1 cup creamy yogurt spread 1 clove garlic, minced 1/4 cup minced fresh basil, dill, mint, parsley. This spread recipe will last for several days in your refrigerator. It makes a fabulous sandwich spread with some fresh summer tomatoes and crusty bread or pita bread.
- Yogurt Herb Spread – mix 2 ½ cup greek yogurt, 1 tbsp. each of chopped fresh mint and parsley and 1 clove minced garlic in a bowl. Season it with salt and ground black pepper.
- Mashed Avocado – simply mash ¼ avocados with 1tsp olive oil and juice of 1 lemon wedge. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.