Unrefined walnut oil is derived from walnut nuts after drying them and cold pressing them. The best way to know whether the walnut oil is premium quality or not is by its color or taste, good quality walnut oil will be nutty in taste and topaz colored. Walnut oil cannot be preserved for over six months or a year. After opening the container you must store it in a cool dark place. You can also preserve it in cold storage to keep it fresh for longer period of time.
Walnut oil has come into limelight after several studies and researches have concluded that it is an exceptionally rich source of antioxidants as well as ellagic acid. The antioxidants present in walnut oil are helpful in eliminating various toxins and substances from the body which are directly and indirectly associated with the many kinds of cancerous development. On the other hand, ellagic acid stops the cancerous cells from duplicating and growing in numbers. Walnut oil is also a rich source of copper and manganese. It also contains melatonin which is a hormone responsible for regulating the body’s clock for timely functions.
The walnut oil, as you must have guessed by now, has many wonderful health benefits. Here are just few of them:
1. Better blood circulation: walnut oil have very good amount of monounsaturated oil like omega 9 which helps improve the health of the arteries by making them more supple. As the arteries becomes more flexible this helps improve the blood flow throughout the body, reducing the chances of hardening of the arteries.
2. Reduces the risk of heart ailments: walnut oil gets its heart healthy benefits mainly from the presence of highly concentrated alpha-linolenic acid which is a type of omega 3 fatty acid. The Alpha-linolenic acid is converted to eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid. A study conducted by Yale University in the year 2009 established that having walnut oil every day may help in bettering the health of blood vessels which will ultimately improve the heart health and reduce the chances of heart ailments.
3. Reduces inflammation: walnut oil is a good source of polyunsaturated fats such as omega 3 as well as omega 6 which is extremely helpful in reducing inflammation. Walnut oil thus helps in preventing inflammation related diseases like arthritis.
4. Regulates the level of hormones: walnuts are extremely rich source of phytonutrients. It also contains good quantities of minerals like selenium, magnesium, iron, calcium, phosphorus as well as zinc. All the above substances help in regulating and maintain proper hormonal levels in the body.
5. Good for skin: walnut oil is a very good source of Vitamin Bs like Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2 and Vitamin B3. Plus, it also has Vitamin E as well as niacin. All these Vitamins along with niacin benefit the skin. Some phytonutrients as well as the fatty acids present in walnut oil helps in making the skin supple and improving its texture. The same benefits are present in walnuts as well.
6. Eczema: a teaspoon of walnut oil a day helps is helpful for people who have a skin rash problem known as eczema.
7. Anti aging benefits: walnut oil is loaded with antioxidants and is one of the best source of the same amongst tree grown nut oil. Antioxidants helps in reduces the effects of free radicals and counters the cell damage postponing the aging effect.