If you are suffering from cough, flu or cold then chest congestion is bound to follow. Chest congestion causes people difficulty in breathing. Excess mucus build-up in the lungs leads to chest congestion. Lungs filled with mucus allow the bacteria to grow. The bacteria in the lungs lead to further growth in infection and causes lot of irritation to the patient. Chest congestion makes the people so uncomfortable that they are unable to sleep properly.
Home cures for chest congestion:
There are many antibiotics that are available over the counter which helps ease chest congestion, but they do come with some serious side effects. Home remedies for chest congestion are free from side effects and can be easily done at home. These home remedies are extremely helpful in dissolving the mucus accumulated in the lungs.
1. Steam: Steam therapy is the best and most preferred home remedy to cure chest congestion. Inhaling steam from hot water for ten minutes, twice or thrice in a day is extremely beneficial. The steam helps in loosening the mucus in the lungs quickly.
2. Hot water bath: Taking a hot shower is beneficial is getting rid of chest congestion. Hot water shower leads to steam build up in the bathroom which helps in loosening the mucus in the respiratory organs.
3. Eucalyptus: The essential oil of eucalyptus tree is extremely beneficial in getting rid of chest congestion, if the underlying cause is bronchitis. You can add few drops of eucalyptus essential oil to the hot water and inhale steam from it. You can also put two drops of eucalyptus oil on your pillow before sleeping at night.
4. Have more fluids: having more fluids helps in liquefying the mucus in respiratory organs. You are advised to have eight and more glasses of water in a day. Having warm water is more helpful, you can also add half a teaspoon of honey and ¼ of a lemon in it.
6. Ginger: Ginger can help reduce chest congestion considerably. You can have ginger by making a ginger tea. Just add two pieces of ginger in hot boiling water, strain it, and add honey in it. Have it sip by sip.
7. Turmeric: Turmeric powder is very helpful in improving breathing. Take a glass of warm water and add one tsp of turmeric powder, stir the same and drink it. This warm water mix is very helpful in treating chest congestion. Have turmeric water thrice in a day.
8. Spicy Foods: The hot as well as spicy constituents in the foods can assist in loosening up the mucus in the respiratory organs, thus releasing chest congestion. Have more food that has ingredients like chili, pepper and jalapeno. This remedy is not advisable for kids and those who have sore throat.
9. Thyme: Thyme is a very helpful herb in curing chest congestion. This herb can help get rid of stuck mucus in the lungs. Thyme helps in clearing the mucus and gradually clears the same from your lungs. You can have thyme tea by adding two teaspoon of dry thyme in a cup of boiling water. Strain the same and have it like tea. Drink thyme herbal tea three times in a day.
- ^ sleep (herbscancure.com)
- ^ chest congestion (herbscancure.com)
- ^ green tea (herbscancure.com)
- ^ Turmeric (herbscancure.com)
- ^ sore throat (herbscancure.com)
- ^ thyme (technorati.com)
- ^ chest congestion (technorati.com)
- ^ flu (technorati.com)
- ^ steam inhalation (technorati.com)
- ^ home remedy (technorati.com)
- ^ herbal cure (technorati.com)
- ^ mucus (technorati.com)
- ^ ginger (technorati.com)