Let’s face it, we are exposed to an alarming amount of toxins on a daily basis. From the BPA that lines your canned goods to the pesticides liberally sprayed on anything alive these days, our bodies are constantly absorbing an outrageous amount of chemicals.
Even though you may try to live as pure a life as possible, sneaky sources of dangerous metals are everywhere, even in the so-called “all natural” products that fool consumers into believing these ingredients are safe.
Over time, high concentrations of metals build up in our systems and can lead to a wide variety of conditions, including, but not limited to:
- Dry skin
- Joint or muscle aches
- Loss of appetite
- Low blood pressure
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
Try as you may, there’s just no getting around the obscene amounts of toxins we are exposed to daily.
There are many coconut oil uses that offer numerous health benefits, but this one is by far the best! Modern naturopathic practitioners are joining with ancient Ayurvedic health practitioners in an understanding of just how powerful a detoxification and healing tool oil pulling really is.
Although coconut oil is not the only oil that can be used to oil pull (others include sesame, sunflower and olive), we love its long list of health-promoting properties, listed below:
- Antibacterial—stops bacteria that cause gum disease, throat infections, urinary tract infections and ulcers in their tracks.
- Anticarcinogenic—keeps dangerous cancer cells from spreading while boosting immunity.
- Antifungal—destroys infection-promoting fungus and yeast.
- Anti-inflammatory—suppresses inflammation and repairs tissue.
- Antimicrobial—inactivates harmful microbes and fights infection.
- Antioxidant—protects from free radical damage.
- Antiretroviral—destroys HIV and HTLV-1.
- Antiparasitic—rids the body of lice, tapeworms and other parasites.
- Anti-protozoa—kills protozoan infection in the gut.
- Antiviral—kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, AIDS, hepatitis and more.
Some positive side effects of oil pulling may include the following:
- Overall strengthening of teeth, gums and jaw
- Plaque prevention
- Prevention of halitosis
- Prevention of cavities and diseases such as gingivitis
- Prevention of lip, mouth and throat dryness
- Possible remedy for jaw soreness and TMJ
- Relief of migraine headache
- Hormone imbalance correction
- Inflammation reduction
- Support of normal kidney function
- Relief from sinus congestion
- Relief from eczema
- Improved vision
- Pain reduction
- Aids in detoxification
- Help with insomnia
Follow these instructions to oil pull.
- Oil pulling should be done on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.
- Use one tablespoon of organic virgin coconut oil – you may want to start with ½ tablespoon and work your way up to a tablespoon.
- Swish the oil around in your mouth slowly and be sure that the oil reaches all parts of your mouth – do not swallow.
- Swish for five to ten minutes. Try to work up to twenty minutes if you can.
- Spit out when you are done and rinse with pure water.
- Brush with a natural toothpaste afterwards.
Note: You may feel a bit ill during or after oil pulling – this is generally a good sign that your body is dumping toxins and should dissipate as you become healthier.
Daily oil pulling with organic coconut oil along with consuming a healthy diet, getting plenty of exercise and sleep will help your body stay sharp and ready to defend the onslaught of toxins you face each day!
Not only is coconut oil a great oral health and detox tool, its other benefits will amaze you! If you are using coconut oil in your diet and cooking, do you know how to choose the best quality one for highest nutritional value? Make sure to read this.