A bloodshot eye is a condition that occurs when the tiny blood vessels on the surface of the eyes get inflamed with too much blood flow caused by insufficient oxygen supply to the cornea. Eyestrain, fatigue, high blood pressure, deficiency of Vitamin B2 and b6, excessive alcohol consumption and allergic reactions are the most common causes of this condition.
Bloodshot eyes generally cause pain, redness, itching and dryness. Treatment of bloodshot eyes largely depends on the cause of the condition, but can be effectively treated without the help of a doctor. Home remedies for bloodshot eyes are the best treatment option that effectively cures the condition without any side effects.
Here are some Effective Home Cure Remedies for Bloodshot Eyes
- As insufficient supply of oxygen to the cornea is the main cause of bloodshot eyes, take Ginkgo biloba, it increases the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the eye and effectively cures the condition.
- It is reported that deficiency of Vitamin B causes bloodshot eyes. It has shown that taking Vitamin B complex for few days cures the condition.
- Use eyebright herb in drops for an immediate cure from bloodshot eyes. It has been shown that using eyebright herb is more effective than any medicated eye drops.
- Make tea of raspberry leaves, allow it to turn cool, soak two small cotton pads in the tea and apply them on your eyes.
- Take a mixture of milk, aloe vera juice and milk, soak two cotton pads in it and place them over your closed eyes for 15 to 20 minutes. This reduces redness of your eyes.
- Eat two tomatoes in the morning on empty stomach. This gives relief from bloodshot eyes.
- You can put 2 or 3 drops of rose water in your eyes for a great relief.
- Allergies to eyes are another major cause of bloodshot eyes. In this case use cold compress over your eye lids and wash your eyelids and face with cold water. This helps soothing your eyes and shrinks the blood vessels.
- Even you can apply cold compress using an ice pack wrapped in a towel.
Suggestions to Avoid Bloodshot Eyes
- If your blood eyes are caused by eyestrain or fatigue, take enough rest and avoid eyestrain and fatigue.
- Avoid scratching and rubbing of your eyes that worsens the condition and may cause infection.
- Take foods that contain Vitamin A which is necessary for a healthy vision.
- Take spinach or its extract and lutein that contain carotenoid which is essential for eye tissue and retina.
- Avoid allergy triggering agents that cause bloodshot eyes in you.
- Avoid excess alcohol consumption at one time.
- Avoid watching TV for a long time at a stretch.
- Wash your eyes daily, if you work on a computer and avoid straining your eyes too much.
- Wear sunglasses before going in a bright sunlight.