- Share on Facebook
- Share on Twitter
Most of us at one time have experienced the flu… Cough, runny nose, fever, it’s miserable. You might be eating healthy and have the most ideal lifestyle, but the virus gets past your defenses and you get sick. What do you do?
The medical community still struggles on the debate of the efficiency of conventional medication as against the natural and home remedies in curing that runny nose, nagging cough and soaring fever. And the flu shots can cause more harm than good… The debate rages on.
But if you are thinking about getting a flu shot or know somebody that does, make sure to read these articles and watch the video on the bottom of the article.
–> 10 Reasons Why Flu Shots Are More Dangerous Than a Flu
–> 10 More Reasons Why Should Stay Away From Flu Shots
Regardless of your position, instead of turning to conventional medicine, try treating the flu naturally by boosting your immune system.
The Immune Boosters
Well, to begin with, it’s helpful to know about ingredients that your kitchen and household can offer that can be used to cure flu.
- Holy basil
- Crystal salt
Now, that you have your stock ready, let’s move on to know more about how to use each one of them as a home remedy for flu.
12 Home Remedies For The Flu
- Gargle with salted, lukewarm water thrice a day
- Have at least 8 glasses of water daily, preferably lukewarm water
- Do steam inhalation, at least twice a day. You can buy steam inhaler or simply boil herbs like chamomile in a pot, cover your head with the towel and inhale the steam. You can also add few drops of eucalyptus essential oil to the hot water and inhale steam from it (or simply put two drops of eucalyptus oil on your pillow before sleeping at night)
- Make paste of mustard seed powder and apply on your chest to soothe the congestion
- Incorporate licorice into your diet on a regular basis
- Take regular doses of vitamin C and zinc the moment you sense an onset of cold
- Strengthen your immune system by taking regular doses of astragalus root capsules twice a day and also get a lot of sunlight which helps in improving your immune system
- Thyme helps in clearing the mucus and gradually clears the same from your lungs. You can have thyme tea by adding two teaspoon of dry thyme in a cup of boiling water. Strain the same and have it like tea. Drink thyme herbal tea three times in a day.
- Mix one tablespoon of basil leaves with some honey to cure cold and cough
- Mix a few crushed cardamom seeds with 1-2 spoons of honey for instant relief
- Mix 1 tsp of lemon juice with 1 tbsp of honey for relief from a sore throat
- Have a cup of organic lemon ginger tea twice a day
Herbs and Supplements You Can Use
Whether your flu has just started or it is already in its full-blown stage, taking the below herbs and other supplements can help speed up your recovery:
- Homeopathic formula Oscillococcinum
- Ground Ivy
Bonus Recipes You Can Make At Home
In addition to the above, you can even prepare a few of your own recipes to finally get rid off the flu.
1. Garlic Tea
To prepare, peel and crush 3 cloves of garlic and add to 2 cups of water and boil. Let it simmer for around 15 minutes. Once done, strain and let it cool. Add some honey, some cayenne pepper and a bit of lemon juice to it.
2. Cough Syrup – Raw honey and red onion
Though a bit tedious to make, this often offers a drastic relief. Carefully, peel and slice the washed onion horizontally. Now, place all the onion slices in a big bowl, alternating each layer with either raw honey or brown sugar or stevia powder. Continue doing this till the entire onion is placed, slice-wise. Cover the bowl and let it sit for around 15 hours. When you re-open, you will find around 1 cup of syrup in the bowl that can be stored and used as a cough syrup for fast relief from coughs and colds.
3. Ginger-clove syrup
For relief from the mucus in your cough, make a mixture of ½ tsp of ginger, ground cloves and cinnamon. Add 1 cup boiling water and strain. Add honey for taste and have at least twice a day.
Hope that with these easy yet effective home remedies you will be back to your healthy self in no time.
We do encourage you and your family to watch the video below so you have a clear understanding what’s going into your body if you opt in for a flu shot.
- Share On Facebook
- Share On Twitter
Olivia Stone says
awesome read! I have found out the difference of a flu and cold in the Consumer Health Digest, thanks for this awesome read! I really need this as allergy season is so close