What is Dandruff?
Dandruff is a condition that affects the scalp and causes the flaking of skin on the head. Dandruff results from the natural process of shedding of old skin cells.
If dandruff occurs due the natural process of shedding dead cells, then why does it appear only in some individuals?
In a person who doesn’t have dandruff, the process of replacing dead skin cells with new ones occurs every 28 days. The dead cells are so tiny that the naked eye cannot notice them.
The same process of replacing dead cells with new ones occurs very quickly—as early as in less than 2 weeks—in a person that has dandruff. Not only are dead cells shed in a hurry, but they also mix with the oil from hair follicles to form greasy lumps that are big enough to be clearly seen with the naked eye.
Common causes of Dandruff
Some common causes of dandruff include:
- Fungus infection (Malassezia)
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Deficiency of zinc
- Poor scalp hygiene
- Poor nutrition
- Head lice
Repercussions of Dandruff
When we talk about repercussions of dandruff, the first thing that comes to mind is that it causes embarrassment. In addition to embarrassment, dandruff can cause temporary hair loss and increase the risk of developing skin infections.
Natural Dandruff Cures
Here’s a look at the top 10 natural dandruff cures:
1. Fenugreek Seed Treatment For Dandruff – A valuable prescription for removal of dandruff is the use of fenugreek seeds. Take two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds and soak them overnight in water. In the morning, crush the seeds to form a thin paste. Apply the paste all over your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. Now, wash your hair thoroughly with a soap-nut solution or acacia solution. Use this anti-dandruff treatment two times for the first two weeks and then once for the next two weeks.
2. Lime Treatment For Dandruff – The use of fresh lime juice is one of the most important natural remedies in the treatment of dandruff. When washing your hair, use a tablespoon of fresh lime juice for the last rinse.
3. Vinegar Treatment For Dandruff – Take two tablespoons of vinegar and mix it with six tablespoons of hot water. Apply the combination on your scalp and leave it overnight. In the morning, wash your hair with a shampoo.
4. Curd Treatment For Dandruff – Curd is another natural ingredient that is known to prevent and treat dandruff. Apply curd on your hair and scalp and leave your hair uncovered for half an hour. Then, wash your hair thoroughly.
You can also use curd with lime juice to treat dandruff. Leave curd in the open for 3 days and then mix it with a few drops of lime juice. Apply it on your head before going to bed.
5. Aloe Vera Treatment For Dandruff – Aloe Vera is another good natural remedy for dandruff. Cut a few pieces of aloe vera length wise. Next, grind the pieces in a mixture for a few minutes and extract the paste. Now, apply the paste on your hair and scalp. Leave your hair uncovered for 30 minutes and then wash your hair. If you select aloe vera treatment, then please remember that aloe vera can cause mild itching.
6. Beet Treatment For Dandruff – Another natural ingredient that is effective for dandruff treatment is beet. Boil the roots of beet in water. Next, gently massage your head with this water. It is advised that you use old pillowcases and sheets, as this treatment may stain your linen.
7. Listerine Treatment For Dandruff – Listerine has been found to be beneficial in treating dandruff. Soak your hair with Listerine and leave it uncovered for about 15-20 minutes. Wash your hair with a shampoo thereafter.
8. Coconut oil Treatment For Dandruff – Coconut oil is useful in the prevention and treatment of dandruff. Put 3 grams of black pepper in 300 grams of coconut oil. Next, heat the oil. Stop heating when the oil starts to boil. Screen out the oil using a fine cloth and keep it in a bottle. Before going to bed, gently massage your scalp with the oil.
9. Snake Gourd Treatment For Dandruff – Take the juice of snake gourd and rub it gently over the scalp. To increase the effectiveness of snake gourd, mix it with fresh beet juice.
10. Green Gram Powder Treatment For Dandruff – Take two tablespoons of green gram powder and mix it with half a cup of curd. Wash your hair twice a week with this paste.
Please remember that you must use the above treatments for at least two weeks. Also, you can use more than one natural remedy at a time to increase the effectiveness of the treatment.