Asthma is a lung disease that affects millions of people of all ages worldwide. Researchers all over the world are trying to develop more effective treatments for it.
Asthma can be chronic or acute. It occurs when the muscles around the airway become constricted or inflamed, which limits the flow of air in and out of the lungs becomes. Common symptoms include coughing, wheezing, chest tightness and shortness of breath.
Various medical treatments are available yet simple home remedies also can provide some relief:
1. Ginger: Ginger is known to reduce inflammation and enhance the muscle relaxation effects of certain drugs.
2. Honey: For ages honey has been considered the best cure for asthma. Even the smell of honey is thought to bring some relief. Honey mixed with cinnamon powder taken before bed is helpful in relieving throat congestion. Drinking a small glass of honey mixed with warm water three times a day is also helpful for asthma patients.
3. Mint leaves: For people suffering from acute or chronic asthma, mint leaf fumes can be very beneficial. Place one or two drops of mint extract in warm water and inhale the fumes through your mouth, exhaling through your nose. This will provide relief from both throat and nose inflammation.
4. Garlic: Drinking a cup of milk with 10-15 cloves of garlic can help reduce the congestion and wheezing associated with asthma.
5. Mustard oil: Massaging mustard oil on the chest can clear the air passages and restore normal breathing during an asthma attack.
6. Coffee: The caffeine in coffee is known to be a good bronchodilator, opening up the airways in the lungs.
7. Eucalyptus oil: Breathing the fumes of eucalyptus oil is known to relieve congestion and help ease breathing.
8. Onions: Onions’ sulfur content makes them a very good anti-inflammatory substance. Raw onions are best, but those who can’t bear the raw taste can opt for the cooked ones, too.
9. Lemon: Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C. It also contains antioxidants beneficial in relieving asthma symptoms. Squeeze a lemon in a glass of water, add sugar and salt and drink.
10. Salmon: Omega-3 fatty acids present in salmon are very good for reduce the inflammation and opening up airways.