It’s a lot more than just chicken noodle. This post from Hello Giggles shares a flavorful recipe for the ultimate immunity booster soup made with just 6 everyday ingredients!
This easy soup is full of immunity-boosting foods: vitamin C-rich kale, vitamin D-enhanced mushrooms, zinc-containing chicken and chickpeas, and antioxidant-packed garlic. Plus, the hot, steamy broth and a hint of pepper heat get your nose running—great for flushing out sinuses and potentially staving off an infection.
It’s a big pot of brothy soup that you can make ahead and enjoy for a couple of days; the flavor just gets better over time. You may be wary of a large amount of garlic, but keep in mind that it mellows considerably after being cooked. Though we love using bone-in chicken breasts here, you can also swap in 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken breast in a pinch (be aware that it will add more sodium).
The 6 Immunity Boosters that Make This Soup Effective and Flavorful
1. Chickpeas: A good source of zinc. As with vitamin D, a zinc deficiency is associated with lowered immunity. Red meat and chicken are also zinc-rich.
2. Dark Leafy Greens: Kale and similar greens are rich in the antioxidant vitamin C. The C, paired with zinc from the chicken and chickpeas, delivers a one-two knockout blow to cold symptoms.
3. Garlic: These bulbs contain allicin, one of the world’s most powerful antioxidants. A 2014 study found that people who eat garlic every day are nearly two-thirds less likely to catch a cold than non– garlic eaters.
4. Hot Broth: Steaming stock makes your nose run, which helps flush out congestion. Broth-based soups also keep you hydrated.
5. Crushed Red Pepper: Capsaicin, which adds heat, can clear sinuses.
6. Mushrooms: Look for fungi labeled vitamin D– rich; they’re grown in ultraviolet light to spur D production. A deficiency in the nutrient has been linked to an increased risk of infection.