A stuffy nose can be quite annoying. Your nose drips and runs; you sound funny when you talk; and just when you want to blow your nose to finally breathe again but nothing comes out.
Whatever the cause is — allergies, a cold, or the flu — dealing with congestion can leave you feeling tired and dreary.
There are quite a few natural remedies that will eliminate the discomfort but there’s one breathing exercise that can do it in less than 1 minute!
The remedy below was tested on more than 100,000 people and over 85% could clear stuffy nose in less than 1 minute if they followed instructions correctly.
This simple breathing exercise of how to clear a stuffy nose or get rid of nasal congestion was developed by a Russian doctors practicing the Buteyko breathing method.
Buteyko Nose Clearing Exercise
Follow these steps carefully and enjoy easy breathing again 🙂
- Sit back, upright and relaxed on a dining room chair.
- During this Nose Clearing Exercise keep your MOUTH CLOSED at all times even after the exercise is finished, if you open your mouth you have ruined the exercise and you’ll have to start again.
- Mouth closed!!!
- Breathe OUT though your nose (recommended) or your mouth if you have to.
- Now HOLD your breath by pinching your nose.
- Gently move your head back and forward (nodding)
- At this point your Mouth is closed, you’re holding on the out breath and you’re nodding your head.
- Keep going until you feel a slight discomfort and the need to breathe (DO NOT keep going to you go blue in the face and fall off your chair, this is not good for you)
- At this point, let go of your nose and take a in breath in through your nose keeping your mouth closed.
- That’s it, one big breath in and then breathe a bit slower and calmer for the next couple of minutes sitting very upright in your chair.
- Repeat if necessary keeping your mouth closed at all times.
Next time you got that annoying stuffy nose, don’t suffer, give Buteyko breathing exercise a try.
Check out a few more stuffy nose remedies but they are not for people that have chronic sinus problems or Nasal polyps.
1. Neti Pot
It’s not the most glamorous task, but you can flush your clogged passages with a neti pot. A neti pot is designed to push water through your nasal passages. The FDA recommends distilled or sterile water instead of tap water. To use a neti pot, tilt your head over a sink. Place the spout of the pot in the nostril. Tilt the neti pot until water enters your nasal passages. Once the water flows into your nasal passages, it will exit your other nostril and empty into the sink. Do this for a minute or more, then switch sides.
Garlic is on of the best home remedies for reducing nasal congestion. Its anti-viral and anti-fungal properties help fight the respiratory infection causing congestion.
Boil two to three garlic cloves in one cup of water. You may also mix in one-half teaspoon of organic turmeric powder. Drink it daily until the congestion clears. Eating fresh garlic cloves can also help relieve stuffiness and discomfort.
3. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is highly beneficial for those suffering from nasal congestion, thanks to its decongestant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Simply put one or two drops of eucalyptus essential oil in a fresh handkerchief and inhale the aroma. Do this a few times a day. You can also use eucalyptus essential oil on your pillow so you can get the benefits of this oil even when you are in deep sleep.