Garlic is said to be one of the best all round healing herbs with medicinal value. This post from OMTimes Magazine outlines 30 garlic benefits that make it a superfood!
Garlic – A Powerful Super Food
Garlic has been used as a powerful healing herb since the time of ancient Egypt. The Greeks, Romans, and lots of other nations considered it a powerful healing herb.
And Garlic has been used to ward off evil in ancient times… and of course vampires.
Just about every culture uses Garlic in their cooking, in Italian, Greek, Middle Eastern, Eastern, all over the world, in soups, stews, casseroles, pasta dishes, and I have even seen Garlic ice cream.
Make sure you use fresh garlic. Studies have shown that pills and capsules don’t work well. It needs to be fresh garlic with that pungent odour… if not… it will not work for you.
30 Reasons Garlic is a Super Food
1. Colds and Flues – Garlic contains allicin which in double blind studies has been shown to cut your probability of coming down with a cold or flu by 50%. But allicin must be taken in it’s natural form as fresh garlic.
2. Lowers Blood Pressure – Garlic has been shown to lower blood pressure and manage blood pressure for long periods of time.
3. Use Iron Better – Garlic has the ability to help you use iron more effectively, so if you are low in iron and taking an iron supplement also take Garlic.
4. Fatty Liver Disease – Garlic can help prevent the accumulation of fats in the liver.
5. Promotes Bile Flow – Garlic increases bile flow from the gallbladder thus it helps to prevent gallstones and congestion of the liver.
6. Heals Arteries – Garlic has been shown to heal away plaques in arteries… and thus help to improve cardiovascular disease, stokes, and other diseases.
7. Lower Cholesterol – Garlic has lots of research showing that it can lower bad cholesterol (LDL Cholesterol) and triglycerides. Also helps to increase good cholesterol (HDL Cholesterol) and thus helps to prevent heart attacks and stokes.
8. Contains Minerals and Vitamins – Garlic has lots of B Vitamins, A and C Vitamins and zinc to boost your immune system and lots of other trace minerals such as iron and copper for anemia, selenium for prostate health, calcium and phosphorus for strong bones, and tryptophan for helping you to get a good nights rest.
9. Antimicrobial – Garlic is a good antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral agent making it great for preventing and curing all kinds of disease processes. One of the best all around preventatives for disease on the planet. And Garlic Tea is great… and it makes a wonderful tea for healing colds and flues.
10. Antioxidant – Garlic contains diallyl sulphide, quercetin, nitrosamine, aflatoxin, allin, ajoene, and more great antioxidants that slow the ageing process and protect your DNA.
11. Gut Problems – If you take fresh raw garlic and cut it up and swallow it with honey, it can help soothe away your gas, stomachache, and indigestion.
12. Clot Dissolver – Garlic helps to break up clots in the body, and thus helps to prevent cardiovascular events.
13. Chronic Tonsillitis – If you come down with tonsillitis often then eating fresh garlic can help heal your affliction.
14. Weight Loss – In studies it has been shown that garlic helps with fat metabolism… and thus helps you to lose weight.
15. Blood Thinner – Garlic is a very good blood thinning agent and works just about as well as aspirin, and it also helps keep blood and platelets from sticking together… thus preventing heart attacks.
16. Sore Throat – Mashing cloves of Garlic and adding it to water… and gargling with it will sooth away your sore throat.
17. Anti-Inflammatory – Garlic is a powerful anti-inflammatory making great for getting rid of pain, swelling, and redness.
18. Athlete’s Foot – Because Garlic is a good anti-fungal agent it will kill athlete’s foot, so crush up some garlic and put it into a foot bath and soak your feet in Garlic.
19. Prevent DNA Damage – Garlic is a natural antioxidant and has the ability to stop DNA damage and also boost your immune system and thus help to prevent disease.
20. Cold Sores – Rub a clove of Garlic on your cold sore and in a few days it will disappear.
21. Toothaches – If you take a clove of Garlic and cut it in half, and hold it in your mouth against the painful tooth… it will help with the pain.
22. Acne – If you have pimples cut a clove of garlic in half and rub it over the pimple it will make it go away.
23. Cancer – Garlic contains germanium which in studies slows the progression of cancer, and in mice has been able to prevent cancer completely. Studies show that people who eat raw garlic daily have a much lower probability of coming down with stomach and colon cancer.
24. Ear Infections – Take a clove of garlic and cut it into 4 pieces and then wrap it in a Kleenex and place it in your ear over night, it will take away the pain and start the healing process.
25. Insect Bites – Rub raw garlic on insect bites and it will stop the itch right away. And for some reason Garlic keeps insects away. So in a pinch you could rub fresh garlic on your body and keep those biting bugs away… but it might keep everyone away.
26. Clear Sinuses and Asthma – If you infuse garlic into some water and heat the water to a steamy vapour and breathe it in… it will help clear your sinuses and also open up your lungs so you can breathe better.
27. Warts – Rub fresh cloves of garlic on warts for a week to 10 days and they will disappear.
28. Glue – Garlic is sticky and in a tight pinch you could mash cloves of garlic and use it as glue.
29. Growing Garlic – Garlic will grow just about any where… it likes full sun and grows fast. Just plant a clove of fresh Garlic and later you will have a whole Garlic plant… and the greens can be used for cooking.
30. Protect Your Garden – Add garlic to soapy water and spray it on your plants… and it will keep pesky bugs away.
Not for Pets:
Garlic and Onions are not good for pets… it will kill them.
Good Old Garlic is “One of the Best All Around Healing Herbs Every”. I recommend taking a fresh clove every morning for Great Health!
Note: This article is meant to get you started… so you can do more research on your own… dig a little deeper and find what works for you. This article is for educational purposes only, I strongly recommend that you seek advice from your own GP, private doctor, or medical specialist for any ailment, illness, or medical condition.. this article not meant to be a scientific analysis in any way, shape, or form.