(BeWellBuzz) All of us have noticed how fresh the air smells after a heavy rain or storm and most of us would like to experience the same atmosphere all year round. Well, we can’t have rain throughout the year, but we can create the same fresh air indoors thanks to a small and very useful device called the air ionizer.
The air that we breathe contains numerous particles of various sizes. Just shining a flashlight in a dark room will show how many particles are flying about. These particles are visible due to their larger size. These visible particles are outnumbered by even smaller and mostly microscopic impurities like bacteria, virus, mites, mold spores and pollen. While our airways have the filter mechanisms to keep some amount of these particles out, depending upon the quality of air that we breathe, some of it always reaches the lungs. These particles and germs are the causative factors of a number of illnesses which include allergic problems like asthma, bronchitis, and infectious diseases like influenza.
Air filters such as the ones found in air conditioners filter out the larger particles, but they have their limitations. Filters get clogged often. They are not very effective in removing microbes and fine particles which pass through the pores. To keep the air we breathe truly safe and clean we need a more effective solution, one that neutralizes all these particles of various sizes without frequent maintenance requirements. This is where air ionizers come in.
Air ionizers work on exactly the same principle that creates that fresh atmosphere after a rain or a storm. Let us understand it without getting too technical. The harmful particles like the ones described above are positively charged particles. During a rain, the falling water creates negative ions. These negative ions are naturally attracted towards the positive charged impurities and neutralize them thus bringing them down to earth. If we look at everyday scenarios, the best example of an atmosphere that is rich in positive ions is the area around a busy road. The atmosphere in a bathroom after operating the shower for some time is the best example of air rich in negative ions.
An air ionizer is a small electrically operated device that creates negatively charged particles. Due to its effect the harmful impurities inside our homes are neutralized and the air becomes cleaner. This purification is achieved without any large consumption of power and without using any filters. Thus what we have is a viable, energy efficient, zero maintenance device that allows us to breathe clean air at all times. Negative ions promote good health, while positive ions cause health problems. Let us take a look at what both these ions can do to our health.
Particle impurities in the air are positively charged. These particles have an adverse effect on our health and well being:
- Allergy due to dust, pollen, mites, mold spores and animal hair.
- Respiratory problems such as asthma and bronchitis.
- Infections which are spread through air, such as influenza and SARS.
- Fatigue and irritability.
- Disturbed sleep.
- Depression in rare cases.
- Bad odors.
Health benefits of clean and pure air:
- Reduction in incidence of seasonal allergies caused by pollen and other allergies caused by dust.
- Helpful for people with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) which is a result of changes in hormone levels and sometimes causes depression.
- Removes viruses and kills bacteria.
- Clears cigarette smoke particles, mould spores, pollen and other dust particles.
- Reduces household odors.
- Reduces breathing rate to a more relaxed and comfortable level.
- Lowers blood pressure, though this is not a substitute for treatment for high blood pressure.
- Reduces tension and improves sleep.
- Reduction in skin temperature.
- Increases metabolism.
- Reduces blood sedimentation rate (ESR). An elevated ESR is a sign of inflammation.
- Better resistance to diseases.
- Increased ciliary activity which helps clear the airways of dirt filtered out by our respiratory tracts faster.
Using an air ionizer is a great way to keep the air inside our homes fresh and healthy.