You may have heard about Diatomaceous Earth, but did not know what it is and its numerous benefits. Don’t worry as we provide you all the information about Diatomaceous Earth, or Food grade Diatomaceous Earth to be more precise, you will ever need. So, just read on…
What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous Earth, also known as diatomite, D.E., or kieselguhr, is the fossilized remains of Diatoms, or algae, one-celled plants. Some Diatoms are fresh water based, while others are salt water based. Food grade Diatomaceous Earth is fresh-water based algae that provides many benefits to humans and pets. The main element in Diatomaceous Earth is Silica. In fact, 85% of DE is uncrystallized Silica. Food-grade Diatomaceous Earth is 100% natural and organic.
Why Food-grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is so important?
Silica is vital to blood vessels, skin, cartilage, bones, and tendons. It is also crucial to liver, lungs, heart, and other important organs. In addition, Silica plays a crucial role in many bodily functions. Although we get Silica from dietary sources, often the quantity received from them is not adequate. On average, the human body requires about 7 g of silica. Most of us fail to obtain so much Silica from food sources. Besides an unbalanced diet, the other cause of mild to severe Silica deficiency is poor quality of soil, which, in recent years has transferred into a universal phenomenon. The problems arising from less-than-adequate-levels of Silica are aplenty, many of them being serious. Although often unavoidable, this problem is easily reversible and preventable. The solution to Silica deficiency, if you have not guessed it by now, is food grade Diatomaceous Earth, which can be taken internally as a food supplement. Although Silica important for us, the benefits of food-grade DE are not just limited to it. Food-grade DE provides a number of additional benefits, to both humans and pets. Before we discuss all of them in detail, let us familiarize ourselves with the following two important benefits about food grade DE:
- Food-grade DE is 100% safe for humans, pets, and our environment. There are absolutely no side effects associated with this product.
- Excess of food-grade DE is not harmful. Using food-grade DE in amounts higher than recommended does not provide any additional benefits, but it does no harm either. As food-grade DE is water soluble, the body simply absorbs the amount it requires and flushes out the excess.
A Note: There is another type of DE: salt water based DE (remember food-grade DE is derived from fresh water). Salt water based DE is also useful, but is meant for industry use only and can be harmful to humans and pets, especially when used for unintended purposes.
Benefits of Food Grade DE to Humans
1. Kills Intestinal Parasites Food-grade DE is a potent bug killer. It effectively kills all common intestinal parasites, which affect approximately 75% of people, at least, once during their lifetime. Unlike drug therapy, which invariably produces strong side effects, food grade DE is completely safe. Other advantages of food-grade DE over drugs used for the treatment of intestinal parasites include:
- It is 100% effective everytime
- It kills parasites by physical means
- It prevents intestinal parasites from coming back
The last benefit is very important, as patients who have been successfully treated, as well as people who are prone to infections caused by intestinal parasites, can use food-grade DE to prevent intestinal infections. It is believed that food-grade DE kills intestinal parasites (and external bugs, which we will discuss in the next two sections concerning the use of this product for pets and in garden) in the following two ways:
- DE particles are extremely sharp and they work on a microscopic level by getting stuck between the joints of the parasite and cutting it into pieces.
- DE also kills parasites and insects by dehydrating them. It scratches the waxy layer of these organisms, which in turn leads to loss of moisture.
Besides being effective against intestinal parasites, food-grade DE is also effective against fungal infections of the stomach, such as infection caused by E. coli. For treatment of stomach infections, use food-grade DE as directed below:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of food-grade DE with milk, water, or other beverage
- Take it once a day. If the infection is severe, you may take it two times per day
- Use it for 2 to 3 months. Repeat the treatment if necessary.
2. Detox the body Food-grade DE is an extremely potent chelating agent. That is, it removes traces of hard metal, such as mercury, that are stuck in the small and large intestine. Detoxification, in turn, provides following benefits:
- Healthier colon- A healthy colon reduces your risk of ulcers, cancers, and many other serious conditions.
- Healthier bowel movement
- Relives fatigue, increases energy, and improves sleep quality
- Boosts the immune system
3. Lowers high blood pressure and cholesterol Food-grade DE is believed to be effective against hypertension, or high blood pressure, and high cholesterol levels.
4. Prevention and treatment of Osteoporosis Poor calcium levels, as you may know, causes osteoporosis, a degenerative bone disease. What you may not know, however, is that calcium supplements cannot reduce the risk of osteoporosis if you have a Silica deficiency. Silica is crucial for absorption of many minerals, including calcium. By enhancing calcium absorption, food-grade DE helps you in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
5. Promotes hair growth Silica is as important for healthy hair growth as it is for healthy bones. While bones contain 100 mg of silica per gram, hair has 90 mg of this substance per gram. Whether you want to reverse hair loss or improve the quality of your hair, Silica, found in abundance in food-grade DE, should be an integral part of your hair care treatment.
6. Improves dental health Silica hardens the enamel and prevents cavities. It is also useful in preventing gum atrophy, bleeding gums, and loosening of teeth. In addition to above, other reported benefits of food-grade DE are listed below:
- Tones the upper respiratory tract and works as a cough-decreasing agent.
- Decreases vertigo, tinnitus, insomnia, and headaches
- Stimulates metabolism, increasing energy levels and relieving fatigue
- Prevents unwanted effects of menopause
- Aids in prevention of kidney stones and is effective in the treatment of infections of the urinary tract.
- Aids in prevention of Tuberculosis
- Effective in the treatment of diabetes
- Effective in the treatment of coronary diseases
- Aids in the prevention of Alzheimer’s disease by helping the body in removal of aluminium
Benefits of Food-grade DE to Pets
You can give food-grade DE to your pet orally, by mixing it with their food, water, or other beverage, or topically.
- Removes of Lice, Mites, and ticks
Food-grade DE can be given orally to pets even for removal of fleas, mites, lice, and ticks. Food-grade DE kills these organisms the same way it terminates intestinal parasites in human -that is by dehydrating and physically cutting them. The daily recommended dosage for cats and dogs is:
- Kittens – ¼ teaspoon once daily
- Large cats – 1 teaspoon once daily
- Dogs (weighing under 10 pounds) – ½ teaspoon once daily
- Dogs (weighing between 50 to 100 pounds) – 1 tablespoon once daily
- Dogs (weighing over 100 pounds) – 1 to 2 tablespoons once daily
To use food-grade DE topically, rub a pinch of it over your pet’s skin gently. For removal of ear mites, rub a small quantity of food-grade DE on the inside and outside of the earflaps for about a month or so.
- Treats and prevents diarrhea
Food-grade DE removes parasites and harmful bacteria and virus from your pet’s body, helping in the treatment and prevention of diarrhea.
Food-grade DE for Pest Control
You can spray food-grade DE powder in your garden for terminating pests. The biggest benefit of this 100% organic powder over chemical pesticides is that pests cannot build immunity against it because, unlike chemicals, DE kills them physically. Another advantage of food-grade DE, when used for pest control, is that it is 100% safe for the environment and does not harm earthworms or other beneficial soil microorganisms. You can also spray food-grade DE in your house to kill household insects such as ants, fleas, flies, mites, spiders, roaches, etc. A Note: Do not spray the food-grade DE on or near your face. You may consider using a face mask when spraying it in your garden or house. We have been taking food grade DE for about 2 months now and definitely can tell the difference. We recommend food grade DE from Wolf Creek.