Spearmint herb also known as garden mint is well known for its properties to impart a distinctive characteristic aroma to the food or thing it is added into. This herb is extremely less pungent and subtle as compared to its other members of the mint family. This is one of the favorite herbs used by many chefs across the world.
Health Benefits of Spearmint Herb
- Along with a pleasant aroma, spearmint is loaded with many health improving vitamins, nutrients as well as antioxidants.
- The leaves and other parts of this herb contain menthol essential oil. But if we compare it with peppermint then spearmint has very less menthol content in it (In peppermint we have 40% menthol oil and in spearmint we have 0.5% menthol oil) due to which it is less pungent with just the right fragrance to it.
- Spearmint has low calorie content and has no cholesterol in it. It has about 43 calorie per 100 grams.
- The main essential oil in this herb is menthol. However, it has several important chemical components like linalool, limonene, myrcene, carvone as well as caryophyllene. The presence of these compounds is helpful in easing fatigue and releasing stress.
- Spearmint is a good source of minerals such as potassium, manganese, magnesium, iron as well as calcium. Iron is essential for the synthesis of hemoglobin. Potassium is a crucial mineral for cells and fluids in the body as it helps in managing heart rate and the blood pressure. Manganese mainly works as a coenzyme that facilitates several metabolic processes in the body.
- Spearmint is also a rich source of antioxidant vitamins such as Vitamin A, beta carotene, folates, vitamin C, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamin B6.
Medicinal properties of Spearmint herb
The most optimistic information about this herb is that all its parts have medicinal properties and can be used for one thing or the other. In some herbs only few parts like leaves or roots are used and the rest is a waste. Thus, because all the parts can be used for medicinal purpose or even as a cooking herb you can grow this herb in your kitchen garden.
- This herb can be made into a decoction and is a good cure for treating small health problems like headache, tiredness, stress as well as nervousness. It is also helpful in treating respiratory conditions like asthma, bronchitis as well as catarrh.
- This herb is extremely helpful in dealing with digestion related ailments like nausea, hiccups, gastric problem. It helps in easing the stomach muscles and relaxing the process.
- Menthol, the chief essential oil present in it, which has many beneficial properties. It is analgesic, an anesthetic and is also has counter irritant properties. It is commonly used in many mouth fresheners, toothpaste, chewing gums etc.
- Menthol is also used in skin products like creams and lotions. It helps itching associated with dermatitis, hives as well as pruritic.
- Spearmint essential oil is used in combination with other essential oils for relaxing aromatic oil. Massaging with this oil helps in easing headache, stress, nervousness, itching, and tiredness and for general relaxation.
- Spearmint tea can be safely used during pregnancy as well.
- Spearmint herbal tea has anti-androgenic property which aids in the removal of unwanted hair.