People throughout the world are more mindful today than in previous times regarding the cleanliness and the whiteness of their teeth. This may be due to competitive job markets, increased socialization, and cosmetic appearance or simply due to increased awareness about the importance of good dental health as it relates to the rest of the body. There are many products on the market that advertise cleaning and whitening of the teeth and improvement of the health of the teeth and gums. Inform yourself of which ingredients are of the most importance to make a good choice of teeth cleaning products.
The Active Whitening or Cleansing Ingredients
Active ingredients are the ingredients that actively work to perform the task the product is advertised to achieve. If the product advertises cleansing, the active ingredients provide cleaning of the teeth. If the product is meant to whiten your teeth or to remove stains or plaque the active ingredients are those which provide this function.
- Hydrogen peroxide – a whitening agent. It is probably the most common of whitening ingredients.
- Carbamide peroxide – a hybrid of hydrogen peroxide with a solution of urea that is said to be even more effective than hydrogen peroxide.
- Potassium Nitrate- minimizes nerve penetration of the cleaning or whitening agents allowing for better penetration of the agents into the enamels of the teeth
- Strontium chloride – Mixes with and bonds to your own salvia allowing it to shield the roots of your teeth.
- Polyvinypyrrolidone (PVP) – this ingredient works to prevent new stains from forming on your teeth.
Levels of Concentration of Active Ingredients
Read the label of any product before you purchase it. You do not want to depend on the advertisement, the advertisement does not make it effective, and it is the ingredients that do that. If the product does not contain adequate amounts of active ingredients you will not get the desired results. Hydrogen peroxide or Carbamide peroxide should make up 20% of the entire solution if these are being used as the main active ingredients.
Product Reviews, Frequency Required, Ease of Use
Before going to the store or purchasing a product online do your research. Review customer testimonials and product reviews for safety and effectiveness. Decide how often you will need to use the product each day and whether this fits into your schedule. Review the application process of the product and how easy or difficult might this product be for you to use. When choosing teeth cleaning or whitening products you might want to consider those that offer both of these functions. If this is your desire, review the product for this dual purpose.