(BeWellBuzz) Aloe Vera is a pretty looking plant with leaves that spread out in an offset pattern. It is basically a shrub that grows to just about 25-35 inches (60-90 cm). Aloe vera leaves have small white teeth around the edges and feel smooth on the outside and succulently spongy on the inside. When a leaf of Aloe Vera is cut open, a gel like substance is obtained. This aloe vera extract is known to contain several micronutrients including vitamin E, amino acids and enzymes that are good for skin and has many health benefits.
Aloe vera extract has been used for making various types of natural skin care products for many years. Today, it is also commercially cultivated all over the world. Apart from being used in cosmetic products, aloe vera is also used in treatment of some ailments including burns, rashes, wounds, and even bruises.
Here, are the top 10 benefits of Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera contains Vitamin C and antioxidants that prevent the damage of cells. When used in combination with chemotherapy, it assists in the healing process. In many cases, it has been found to shrink tumors.
Aloe is known to improve digestion. It breaks fat globules and cleanses the digestive tract and helps control obesity.
According to American Diabetes Association, diabetic patients, who took a table spoon of aloe juice twice a day, showed a significant decrease in blood sugar levels.
4. Blood Pressure
Aloe vera contains Vitamin B12, which is required for the smooth functioning of the cardiovascular system. It can also assist in preventing blockages in the arteries.
Aloe vera contains a cocktail of vitamins and minerals which is very good for detoxification of the body. It helps the body to deal with everyday stress.
Aloe vera is full of antioxidants that fight free radicals in the body, enhancing the overall immunity system.
7. Gastric Problems
Aloe acts as a cleansing agent. When you consume aloe juice religiously for several weeks, it can effectively clear the stomach and the colon region. It also reduces the production of gastric acids and protects the lining of the stomach. As a result, gastric disorders such as constipation and irritable bowel syndrome can be controlled.
8. Skin Conditions
Aloe vera is very good for the skin in many ways.
- As a moisturizer: Applying aloe vera gel directly to the skin and then washing it out after a minute or two leaves the skin feeling soft and glowing.
- To treat acne: Acne is one of the most common skin problems faced today. This condition causes the appearance of painful and itchy pimples to appear on the face or shoulders. Aloe vera helps soothe the skin and tightens the pores preventing any exposure to germs. It also contains antibacterial properties and helps remove acne scars.
- To treat sunburn: A sunburn causes the skin to tan. Your skin becomes leathery and can sometimes be very painful too. Aloe vera helps cool the skin and helps remove the tan.
- To treat stretch marks: Aloe vera helps to tighten the skin and reduce the scars caused by skin stretching.
- To treat aging of skin: Aloe vera is used in anti-aging creams and lotions. It is a safer and more economical than surgical procedures for skin treatment.
Aloe is a very versatile plant. Aloe vera gel is also used as a hair care product. It helps to combat some of the most common hair problems like hair fall. Aloe vera contains a multitude of nutrients that can treat hair fall and dandruff. Using the gel regularly on the hair can make your hair smooth and shiny.
The use of aloe vera plant in the treatment of AIDS is still under research and it has shown promising results. Aloe vera contains carrisyn, which appears to inhibit the growth and spread of HIV. In a study published in Journal of Advancement in Medicine, it was found that the consumption of active ingredients of an entire leaf of aloe vera on a daily basis had significantly increased their T-4 helper cell count of AIDs patients. These cells are responsible for the immunity in the body, and a patient suffering from AIDS has an immunity that is severely compromised.
Aloe Vera Is Good For Your Taste Buds Too!
Aloe vera is quite a refreshing option during scorching summers. It is easy to combine it with fruits and vegetables to make some healthy, super yummy recipes. Try this cool and refreshing aloe drink:
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Apple
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsp Aloe vera pulp
Put all the ingredients into a blender with some coconut water and ice. Blend and enjoy.
Grow Your Own Aloe Vera