Celery is a member of Apiaceae family with parsnips, fennel, and parsley. It offers many health benefits as celery is an excellent source of antioxidants and beneficial enzymes. But did you know that you can eat celery seeds? More about that in a minute.
Celery contains many minerals such as calcium, sodium, copper, magnesium, iron, zinc, and potassium. It is also a great source of fatty acids and vitamins including vitamin A, K, C, E, D, as well as the B vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, folic acid, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12).
Celery seeds are found in the flowers of the celery plant, which normally develop in the second year after cultivation.
They have been widely used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years, mainly as a diuretic, a cold remedy, and an anti-inflammatory medicine.
Celery seeds — which can be found either in whole seed form, extract form or ground-up powder — have impressive health benefits on their own, so let’s take a closer look.
10 Powerful Health Benefits of Celery Seeds
1. One of the most important benefits of celery seeds is because of its cancer-fighting ability. It has some active components that are helpful in fighting cancerous tumors such as polyacetylenes and phthalides.
2. The other significant health benefit of celery seeds is that it helps in managing the blood pressure levels. Having celery seeds everyday helps in promoting good blood pressure levels.
3. It protects as well as reverses the bad effects of acetaminophen on the liver, which is an analgesic. Having celery seeds everyday balances the harmful effect on the liver. Although this benefit is not backed by any scientific reports, many people report relief with celery seeds.
4. Benefits of celery seeds include the ability to reduce the cholesterol level. The cholesterol blocks the arteries which increase the risk of heart problems. Herbal experts often use celery seeds to cure circulatory system problems.
5. Celery seeds have many nutrients as well as substances such as flavonoids, linoleic acid, coumarins and several volatile oils. Because of the presence of the above-named components celery seeds are helpful in fighting many diseases.
6. Celery seeds are known to have anti-inflammatory agents. Having celery seeds everyday helps in treating pain and inflammation of the joints. Having celery seeds every day helps with inflammation-related ailments such as gout, rheumatism as well as arthritis.
7. Celery seeds stimulate the uterus and helps in easing muscle spasms, especially related to the female reproductive system. Celery seeds are helpful in easing menstrual cramps and pains. If women have it on everyday basis then it really eases the symptoms of menstrual discomfort.
8. Celery seeds are diuretic in nature and because of this property they are extremely useful. The excess urinations caused due to the diuretic nature of celery seeds help flush out the toxins along with extra water from the body. The health benefits of celery seeds are most importantly helpful in flushing out the uric acid along with urine.
9. As the celery seeds are diuretic in nature they are recommended to people with kidney stones, water retention, as well as gout. Celery seeds do not permit extra accumulation of uric acid as well as fluids in the human body.
10. Celery seeds are antibiotic as well as antiseptic in nature. These properties are excessively essential in curing many kinds of infection in the body. Celery seeds are especially useful in getting rid of an infection of the urinary tract. Herbal experts have recommended the consumption of celery seeds to treat bladder ailments, kidney troubles, and cystitis.
BONUS benefit – Mosquito repellent
Mixing just a few drops of celery seed oil to your body lotion can help you stop mosquitoes from biting you due to its spicy aroma. Much better solution to chemical-packed options
You can add dried celery seeds to your food, this will help enhance the spicy flavor and make your food more nutritious.
Word of caution
If you are pregnant, it’s recommended to avoid celery seed products or supplements due to a risk of miscarriage because of the blood-thinning characteristic of this spice.
If you have low blood pressure levels, kidney inflammation or birch pollen allergies, celery seeds should be avoided as well.