Aronia Berry – What It Can Do For You
There’s been a huge revival of interest in the aronia berry in recent times, especially since its numerous benefits have come to light. Often referred to as chokeberry, this dark berry is native to North America. It was part of the staple diet of Native Americans and early settlers because it was so chockfull of health.
Today, researchers and scientists are discovering the goodness of this berry and what a completely amazing super food it is. There has been ample research to suggest that the aronia berries are indeed some of nature’s best health supplement.
Scientific studies have indicated that dark skinned berries and fruits offer the most amount of nutrients and protective elements to people. From that perspective, the black aronia berry is indeed dark and offers much more protection than blackberries and cranberries.
What’s special about the aronia berry?
The aronia berry has the highest concentration of antioxidants present in any fruit. We all know the importance of antioxidants in keeping us healthy and fighting diseases. Just this property of the aronia berry ought to make it a top contender for the healthiest fruit/berry ever. Because it is rich in antioxidants, it has a very high ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) value, almost 80 units which is probably the highest amongst fruits. However, there’s more.
Aronia berries also have a lot of flavonoids which help the body in its fight against viruses, cancer causing elements, also known as carcinogens and different types of allergies.
These dark pigmented berries have all the properties present in blackberries and cranberries, but in added measure because of the high levels of anthocyanins and proanthocyanins. It also has a high dose of quinic acid which is known to prevent urinary infection.
As research is constantly being conducted, there’s a lot more about the aronia berry which is being uncovered. Here’s a look at how exactly the aronia berry can be helpful to us.
- Circulation. Aronia berries are known to improve the circulation of blood, make blood vessels stronger and fight against heart disease. Free radicals are the true cause of various diseases in the body and aronia berries can prevent formation of these radicals thereby preventing diseases such as diabetes and other cardiovascular diseases.
- UTI. It’s a well known fact that cranberries are great in helping resolve urinary tract infection, but these aronia berries are way better than that because of the high quotient of quinic acid in them.
- Suffering from high blood pressure? Aronia berries are your antidote as these can help greatly in keeping blood pressure at normal levels.
- If your diet includes aronia berry regularly, you can be sure that colds and flu will stay away from you.
- Here’s another surprising benefit. Aronia berries can help improve your memory as well.
- These berries help the body in producing good cholesterol.
- Studies are being conducted to see the effect of aronia berries on cancer as it’s known to be rather effective especially for those suffering from colon cancer.
- Aronia berries can prevent blood clots from forming and thereby reduce the occurrence of atherosclerosis.
How it can be consumed
The aronia berry is known for its sharp and tart taste which might appeal to some and not to some others as its low on sugar as well. However, apart from being eaten fresh, these berries are now appearing in different forms of food and offer the same amount of nutrition. The aronia berry juice is very healthy as well as it offers all the benefits of the berries in an easy to consume and store form. The juice is often sweetened as well to make it more palatable.
Many companies have come up which are selling fresh frozen berries, berry chews, and even aronia berry green tea. If you’re fond of fresh fruit in your food, then you can include the aronia berries in pancakes, top it with cereals or add it to your fruit salad to power your food like never before. Inventive cooks are adding aronia berries to substitute other berries such as strawberries and cranberries in their recipes which call for sauces or fillings. One of the most popular ways to consume aronia berries can be through smoothies while jams and preserves are equally good.
Good to know
Several studies have indicated that apart from all the various health benefits that it offers, the aronia berry can also help in regulating weight. What’s more, there’s some amazing news that aronia berries can help prevent the body from storing fat around the abdomen, a problem which many people are constantly facing.
It’s rather easy to grow aronia berry bushes in your own garden if you have the adequate space because that means you can have fresh supply of fruit throughout the year. And the good news for those who don’t have that much of a green thumb is that these bushes are low maintenance and are rather easy to grow. Better yet, a mature bush can produce around 38 pounds of berries, more than enough to keep you enjoying super foods every single day of the year.