Wonders of Manuka Honey
(BeWellBuzz) Manuka Honey, scientifically known as Leptospermum Scoparium, is one of the most remarkable types of honey that originates from New Zealand and some parts of Australia.
What Is Manuka Honey?
Manuka Honey is a uni-floral honey extracted from the flowers of the Manuka bushes (sometimes referred to as Tea Trees), a native plant of New Zealand. That’s why it’s called Manuka Honey. With its very thick and creamy texture similar to a combination of sugar and barley, Manuka Honey has color that ranges from dark cream to dark brown.
Manuka Honey is different from other types of honey. This is because it has extra natural antibacterial properties a.k.a. Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) that is only found in honey sourced from the Leptospermum plants. According to scientists in New Zealand, UMF level of 10 is classified as pure Manuka Honey.
What Are The Benefits Of Manuka Honey?
Honey in any form is naturally very beneficial for health. Since decades, honey has been used for a variety of purposes.
Scientific research has proven that manuka honey is 5 times better than ordinary honey in its inner healing and external application advantages. This is why it is used in a wide variety of products such as liquids, tablets, capsules, beauty products and wound dressings. In addition, Manuka honey is used for natural skin care and digestion.
Some of key benefits of Manuka Honey are:
- Therapeutic use: Research studies from University of Waikato in New Zealand and from other academic institutions worldwide confirm the therapeutic properties of Manuka honey. Historically, it was used by Egyptians and ancient Greeks for healing wounds and killing bacteria.
- Improves digestion: Active manuka honey is exceptional at solving digestion problems. It is a valuable therapy for ailments such as bacterial infections in the stomach / digestive tract; stomach and peptic ulcers; diarrhea, gastritis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and acidity.
- Fights bacterial infection: The main quality of manuka honey is its antiviral, antiseptic, antifungal, and antibacterial action which is useful for making medicines. It is, therefore, very good at healing wounds, burns, infections, and boils.
How it works as an antibacterial? The large quantity of sugar in the honey creates a waterless environment which kills bacteria quickly. Because of the enzyme ‘oxidase’ present in its composition, Manuka honey is also acidic in nature which further complements its antibacterial properties.
- Cures skin conditions: Manuka honey is a natural treatment for many fungal skin conditions including dermatophytes and skin ulcers. This is because fungal skin conditions are caused by bacteria in the skin and Manuka Honey’s antibacterial action helps cure bacterial infections quickly.
- Provides nutrition: Manuka honey is one of the healthiest things to eat amongst all natural compounds. It contains rich quantities of Sugar, water, minerals and vitamins. In fact, Manuka honey mixed with lemon is delicious syrup for cough and cold.
- Acts as natural moisturizer: A lot of people use honey on their skin to make it fair and glow. Manuka honey based face creams act as natural face creams which is easier to use on the skin.
- Relieves pain: According to scientific research, Manuka honey has astonishing healing power and relieves pain from wounds faster than other medicines.
- Remedies leg ulcers: Manuka honey heals leg ulcers quickly than other medical treatments. In addition to this, it also removes the odor coming out from leg ulcers.
Has NO side effects!
Unlike any other antibiotic, manuka honey has absolutely no side effects because of it being a natural element.
Manuka honey is also useful for the treatment of a variety of problems including athlete’s foot, dental health, eye infections, diabetic wound, arthritic inflammation, insect bites and stings, sore throats, relief for allergies, acid reflux disease, ring worm, rashes, chronic wounds, pressure sores, surgical wounds, psoriasis, cold sores, candida albicans, nail fungus, duodenal ulcer, esophagus ulcer, chemical burn, decubitus ulcer, scars and ear infections. It is also beneficial for cancer patients and aids tissue healing.
How To Buy Manuka Honey?
Manuka honey is only sold in limited areas as its production depends upon the weather. The polonization period of the Manuka tree is very short, so it is often suggested that you buy it in large quantities at once. You should always buy raw organic Manuka honey after observing its color. Remember the darker the color, the more nutritious it will be.
Manuka honey has exceptional strength against a variety of diseases and is especially good for people with weak immune systems. It is recommended to take one teaspoonful of manuka honey 3-4 times a day for proper digestive care, duodenal and stomach ulcer relief.