(BeWellBuzz) Having heart troubles? In today’s world, where no one is excused from being stressed out and worked up, heart diseases have taken a toll over people of all ages. What makes heart issues so dangerous is its “unpredictability”. One can never really know what may happen and when!
The good news is – Mother Nature has provided us with a wonderfully packaged berry to treat a variety of heart ailments naturally.
Hawthorn Berries – Good Food For Your Heart
The Hawthorn or the thorn apple is a genus of trees and shrubs belonging to the family Crataegus. Native to the Northern hemisphere, it is found in many places in Europe, Asia and North America.
Hawthorn berries have a tart like taste that’s very refreshing and light. Some of the key benefits of eating hawthorn berries include:
- Reduced Risks of Heart Failure: According to Herbwisdon.com, Hawthorn berries are very effective in preventing congestive heart failure. It is a condition caused due to insufficient pumping of blood from heart to the rest of the organs. The berries help to relieve symptoms such as shortness of breath and fatigue.
- Powerful Antioxidants: Hawthorn berries are also used to treat patients with early symptoms of artherosclerosis, which is the build-up of plaque in the blood vessels. This is due to the fact that they contain powerful antioxidant flavonoids called Oligomeric Procyanidins (OPCs).
- Prevent Chest Pain: Hawthorn berries also work wonders against angina or chest pain. This is caused due to inadequate supply of blood to the heart. According to a MuscleandStrength.com study, patients who consumed hawthorn berries showed decreased chest pain when doing stressful exercises.
- Lower Bad Cholesterol: LDL or bad cholesterol is accumulated in the body for various reasons such as stress and bad diet. The tincture of hawthorn berries can reduce the production of LDL.
- High Blood Pressure and Hypertension: Although not confirmed, hawthorn berries have shown potential to help mitigate high blood pressure. It can be safely taken in combination with blood pressure medications to treat hypertension.
- Cure Inflammation: Inflammation in the body is characterized by redness, swelling, pain and heat. Hawthorn berries are also known to have anti-inflammatory functions.
- Treat Gastric Problems: Besides advantages to the heart, hawthorn berries are also gastro-protective. They help to treat stomach ulcers that are caused due to excess of acid content.
Dr. John Ray Christopher, a well-known herbalist states that most heart conditions are caused due to improper diet. In his study, he showed how hawthorn berry are good for human consumption. He utilized hawthorn berries to treat heart conditions like heart palpitations, shortness of breath and high blood pressure among many others.
Try This Delicious Hawthorn Berry Recipe!
Hawthorn doesn’t need to be perceived as a medication alone. These berries have a flavorful punch, and there are many recipes that are made from it. Including this berry in food and daily food recipes is a good choice. The following Hawthorn Berry recipe tastes delicious with some fresh cucumbers and radishes, and equally divine when smeared on warm crunchy toast and cold meats.
Hawthorn Berry Chutney with Thyme:
- 1.1lb (500grams) of organic Hawthorn berries
- 9oz (250grams) of Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/4 cup of Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/16 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/16 Teaspoon Ground Allspice berries
- 1/2 Teaspoon Maldon Salt
- A handful of fresh thyme.
- The berries are plucked, washed and tossed into a saucepan with cider vinegar and salt.
- It is covered, brought to a simmer and cooked for an hour.
- The berries would have become a reduction once it is passed through a metal sieve.
- The remaining spices are then cooked. Ten minutes before the heat is turned off, chopped thyme is added to it.
- This can then be stored in tight lid containers and jars.
Replace Your Morning Tea With Hawthorn Tea
The hawthorn juice is easy to prepare. To boiled and purified water, add one teaspoon of dried hawthorn berries and then boil it in a tea pot for about ten minutes. This can be served hot. According to Donna Earnest Pravel from the Naturalnews.com, three cups of hawthorn tea are recommended every day for patients with circulatory conditions. Or just buy organic hawthorn tea.
Although hawthorn berries have many advantages, certain precautions must be taken for long term use. Under some conditions, it is not advised that these berries are consumed. For example;
- When taken in large doses, hawthorn can cause dizziness.
- If there is an unseemly change in blood pressure, you should contact your medical practitioner.
- Consumption of hawthorn berries should be avoided, in case you have colitis.
- Hawthorn berries are not proven safe for children, and it is not recommended for pregnant women.
- Hawthorn berries should not be taken in combination with heart medications like Digoxin and Phenylephrine.
So, next time you struggle to decide “what to cook” that’s delicious as well as safe for your heart condition, consider a hawthorn berry recipe!