- Share on Facebook
- Share on Twitter
Acupuncture and acupressure have been used in China and India for thousands of years. The Shakti mat can be seen as a modern interpretation of the Indian bed of nails. To put it simply, it is an Acupressure Mat.
The Shakti Mat is used to relieve pain, promote relaxation and help with a range of health problems including insomnia, pain relief and recovery from injury.
Many think that Shakti mat comes from India but it was actually created by a former circus performer, Jonathan Hellbom, who then turned monk after seeing amazing benefits of an ancient bed of nails used by gurus in India.
The Original Shakti Mat contains 6000 points of contact – all placed in a perfect symmetry – that give the same acupressure effect as ‘the bed of nails’ used by Indian Yogis for releasing mental, emotional, and physical baggage.
Shakti Mat comes in the following three varieties:
- Shakti Mat – It contains 6000 points of contact (most popular)
- Shakti Light – It contains 8000 points of contact
- Shakti Advanced – It contains 4000 points of contact
The fewer the points of contact in the mat, the more pressure is exerted by each point. That explains why the mat with 4000 points of contact is known as Shakti Advanced, as it is much harder to use than a regular Shakti Mat. If you find a regular Shakti Mat difficult to use, which is rarely the case, you should consider trying Shakti Light.
Shakti Mat Benefits
Shakti Mat releases endorphins and oxytocin into your blood stream which is your body natural way to relieve pain and relax you but what are the health benefits of the Shakti Mat? How is the Shakti mat compliments your pain or stress management program? Well, here are some of the benefits that the Shakti will give you:
- It increases circulation and lowers your blood pressure
- Improves blood circulation
- Alleviate the symptoms of many ailments that people often resign themselves to living with including backache, sciatica, muscular tension, back pain, difficulty sleeping, migraine, high stress levels, lethargy and depression.
- Improves immunity
- Helps clear acid from the body which is fantastic for anyone with joint problems or gut issues
- Great when you’re feeling stressed
How it works
The Shakti Mat acts on the various nerve endings and acupressure points along the spine to eliminate tension and stimulate the production of hormones such as oxytocin and endorphins. The release of these calming hormones, in turn, promotes a feeling of deep relaxation and well-being.
How to use the Shakti Mat
Shakti Mat is very simple to use. Lie on it with your face pointing upwards. You may consider placing a pillow or rolled towel under your Shakti Mat for supporting the neck. You can also get complete acupressure set that includes Shakti mat and Shakti pillow.
You can start your morning by placing your Shakti Mat under your back. It will give you a pleasant start for a new day! If you are more active, get up from bed and take a walk on the Shakti Mat or the Shakti Footpad, it will fill you up with fresh energy!
A few things you must remember while using Shakti Mat are:
- Place a thin cloth on your Shakti Mat if your skin is hypersensitive. However, this will reduce the efficacy of the therapy.
- Lie on the mat for at least 10-15 minutes continuously. Once your body gets used to the therapy, you can then increase the duration to 20-25 minutes. If you are comfortable, you can use the Shakti Mat for a longer time. You can use the Shakti Mat as many times a day as you want.
- For best results, use the mat every day. If this is not possible, use the mat as regularly as possible.
- Breathe deeply when lying on the mat. This will accentuate the positive effects of the Shakti Mat.
- Do not do a high-intensity activity immediately after a Shakti Mat session. After a session on the Shakti Mat, try to rest for a few minutes to maintain the flow of released energy.
The use of Shakti Mat is not restricted only to the back. You can use this therapeutic mat to treat specific problem areas such as the feet, stomach, jaw, thighs, or knees.
There is no research done specifically on the Shakti Mat. This is not surprising since such studies require substantial funding. Independent researchers and other bodies usually don’t want to spend their time and resources on unregulated products such as the Shakti Mat. That said, a few Russian researchers did study the effectiveness of beds with points of contacts, similar to Shakti Mat in design and principle, and found them to be very effective in decreasing inflammation, promoting tissue growth, and strengthening immunity.
Why we LOVE Shakti Mat
Simply because it works!!! It’s easy to use and it’s portable! We always travel with it and everyone who tried it, a bit scared at first 🙂 but do notice positive effects. It has no moving parts, so it is durable, and you won’t need to buy an upgrade or new model or anything like that, so it’s very cost effective. For the cost of one chiropractic/osteopathic/massage treatment you have the mat for life.
Notes of Caution: Consult your doctor before using Shakti Mat if you have a cardiovascular disease. Women who are pregnant should also consult their doctor or midwife before using Shakti Mat.
- Share On Facebook
- Share On Twitter
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.