The medicinal salt benefits to your body and mind will push your wellness to a new level!
A medicinal salt, as the name suggests, has medicinal properties. The regular salt we use is devoid of essential minerals. Medicinal salts, on the other hand, contain essential minerals such as magnesium, zinc, sulfate, potassium, and others. These minerals, in turn, give medicinal salts their healing properties. Although the composition of different medicinal salts varies, nearly all of them offer certain health benefits.
The top 5 medicinal salts
While most medicinal salts are bath salts, a few, such as Himalayan Crystal salt, are used orally. Our list of top five medicinal salts contains both bath salts and salts that are consumed orally.
1. Dead Sea Salt
Harvested from the Dead Sea, this salt sits at the top of our list. Dead Sea salt is reported to have 21 important minerals including calcium, magnesium, sulfur, zinc, sodium, potassium, and bromide.
Dead Sea Salt is purported to be beneficial in the treatment of many health conditions such as:
- Psoriasis and other skin conditions – Studies show that taking a bath in warm water containing Dead Sea Salt can provide relief from psoriasis and other common skin conditions such as acne, skin allergies, eczema, dermatitis, and seborrhea. As a matter of fact, both the National Psoriasis Foundation and the International Psoriasis Community recommend Dead Sea Salt as a useful alternative treatment for psoriasis.
- Rheumatologic conditions – Bathing regularly in Dead Sea salt-enriched water may significantly decrease the severity of common symptoms of rheumatologic conditions such as joint stiffness, soreness, pain, and swelling.
- Stress and insomnia – Dead Sea salt can be a potent remedy for these two psychological conditions as it relaxes the muscles, improves blood circulation, and flushes toxins from the body.
- Slows aging – Studies show that the minerals present in Dead Sea salt are effective in preventing and reducing the intensity of wrinkles. Use Dead Sea salt a few times a week to maintain your youthful appearance for a longer time.
2. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt, name after a spring in Epsom, Surrey (England), is also a bath salt. Its main components are magnesium and sulfate. Some of the more important health benefits of Epsom salt are:
- Improves blood circulation– Regular use of Epsom salt can reduce the risk of conditions that occur due to poor blood circulation including heart attack, stroke, diabetes, and hypertension.
- Reduces stress, induces relaxation, and prevents insomnia – Using Epsom salt three times a week improves your response to stress and allows you to sleep better. Stress lowers the level of magnesium in the body. Since Epsom salt is rich in magnesium, your body regains the required amount of magnesium when you take an Epsom salt bath. This, in turn, reduces the symptoms of stress, improves blood circulation, and relaxes the muscles.
- Detoxifies the body – The sulfate in Epsom salt is effective in removing toxins from the body. Effective removal of harmful substances, in turn, makes you look younger and improves the health of vital organs such as the heart, liver, and kidneys.
3. Himalayan Crystal Salt
Himalayan Crystal Salt contains all 84 elements present in the human body. Procured from remote Himalayan regions, this salt can be used in food or as a bath salt. Double-blind studies have confirmed that it provides numerous health benefits such as:
- Improving skin health – This salt nourishes your skin, making you look healthier and younger.
- Improves sleep – Regular use of Himalayan Crystal salt improves sleep, boosts concentration, and aids weight loss.
- Supports respiratory health – Himalayan Crystal salt contains elements that have anti-inflammatory properties and, as such, may be beneficial to individuals with bronchial asthma or other respiratory conditions.
4. Aztec Artisanal Sea Salt
Aztec Sea Salt is organic, hand-harvested salt that is more powerful in flavor than your typical table salt. Aztec salt is harvested over a 45-day period each year and offers many benefits.
- Greater mineral content than many other sea salts, 80 essential minerals, to be specific.
- Supports metabolic function
- Higher moisture content (usually around 14%) than other sea salts and doesn’t pull the natural liquids out of foods. This makes it perfect for preparing foods like roasted vegetables or meats, where you want each bite to be rich and juicy.
- Improves athletic performance and speeds up recovery
5. Dendritic Sea Salt
A purified form of normal table salt, Dendritic Sea salt has a larger surface area and is therefore more capable of absorbing essential oils and bath salts. This salt ensures that other bath salts and oils retain their fragrance for a longer time.
Notes of Caution: People who have heart disease, high blood pressure, a kidney disorder, or a liver disease should consult their healthcare provider before using bath salts or increasing their salt intake.